Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Do you love books as much as Ralphie does?



I am in the US now and one of the things I love to do the most is go to B&N and libraries. I honestly don't get tired of this. So many books to look at and I love how active the reading community is here. Sadly is not the case in Venezuela. I think I am the only mom at school that gives children's books as birthday gifts to kids.

All this got me thinking of ebooks and if they will ever replace the real thing. I think we all can agree that nothing beats the feel, smell and touch of a book. But I worry that there is another disadvantage to ebooks that some may be overlooking. Ebooks are convenient for sure, in the sense that you can download a book so easily in matters of seconds without even having to get out of the house. That sounds good right?

But on the other hand, although some people might think of reading as a "loner" activity I actually think is not necessary true. When you go to bookstores like B&N that let you sit in a comfy leather couch with some coffee and read, you are surrounded by book lovers doing the same thing you are. Same goes in libraries. It's like we get to have our own little private club. Even though everyone is immersed in their own world in the book they are reading, there is still a human bond in the room. A sense of belonging to a group. And I like that. I worry that we might loose that with ebooks.

What do you think?



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think we will ever lose the printed book. I think ebooks just gives more people the opportunity to have access to books.

When traveling, I think ebooks will make it easier to take reading materials with a person.

I'm one of those people who like the feel of the page turning, so I'll never give up on books, but I'm also excited to try out one of the ereaders one day.