Monday, January 21, 2008

Risky Business

It's risky business trying to break into the world of illustrating. It takes courage to believe in your unique perspective and voice as an artist. It takes a great deal of perseverance to keep submitting your artwork, sending it out again and again, bravely facing rejection. It takes strength to listen to critiques and adjust and improve your artwork.


As I get ready for my 3rd national SCBWI conference in NY, I'm amazed at the artists who are taking this risk every day. It's staggering to see the amount of talented people who are trying to get their first big break. My hats off to everyone who has taken this risk and my encouragement to those who are unsure if they can handle the challenge. It's a risk worth the taking.

2 comments:

Alicia PadrĂ³n said...

It's so true Heather! Congratulations to you too for taking those risks!

Unknown said...

I l;ove the folksy feeling to this - it is rustic and earthy!! I totally appreciate the post as well..