Sunday, January 20, 2008

Looking back, looking ahead...

2007 was an absolute whirlwind.  I'm so grateful for it, but it was the busiest, craziest year of my illustration life.  I worked non-stop (yay), and most of the jobs were creatively satisfying.  The highlight of my year was illustrating a large handful of poems for a Simon & Schuster Poetry Anthology, which I just put to bed a few days ago.  It was a wonderful way to cap this momentous year.  I learned quite a lot about myself as an illustrator, and better realized what I want to do and what I'm actually capable of doing.

Balance in work and home life has always been an issue for me, having a small child and trying to illustrate full-time.  Glancing ahead at 2008, I'm going to be totally realistic about my goals and abilities.  We are joyfully expecting a baby girl in April, and I know from past experience that I cannot have it all--or I should say, have it all--at the same time.  I'm going to enjoy my babies, doodle when I can, continue playing and learning, and take on a project ONLY if it fits.  

Here's wishing everyone out there a beautiful new year--full of hope, promise and happiness!!

3 comments:

Debbie Meyer said...

Congratulations, Laura! Sounds like you had a very productive year in many, many ways! Best wishes for you and the new baby in April.

Alicia Padrón said...

How wonderful your wishes Laura! I wish the same to you... and congratulations on that great year you had, you deserve it! :o)

Courtney Pippin-Mathur said...

Congratulations Laura!