Thursday, July 19, 2012

Book Review: Yummy by Lucy Cousins

Last week I commented on a strong cover design - here's another. Yummy, by Lucy Cousins says it all on the cover. Maisy is nowhere in sight. Little Red looks delicious. And the wolf? You'll have to read it to find out.
I've been reading these classic fairy tales with my son. I usually ask him questions as we read our books, to gauge if he thinks things are real. I usually soften scary bits within stories by telling him it's "not real" or "pretend". I've held off doing that with these stories. Part of me wants him to just experience Little Red, Goldilocks, and The Three Billy Goats Gruff in the same way I did. Scary, edgy, fantastical. So far, he's gobbled it all up (much like poor Grandma).
Kudos to Lucy Cousins and Candlewick Press for publishing a book that's not afraid of the darker things, and for doing so in a fun, fresh way. The illustrated text throughout caps it all off.

No comments: