Thursday, January 5, 2012

What to do in 2012? Write, write, write

There are so many wonderful challenges for picture book authors and illustrators. I was so happy to complete the amazing Picture Book Idea Month (PiBoIdMo) this past November, so I'm keeping the ball rolling with 12 x 12 in 2012. (#12x on twitter)

What's that, you say? The challenge is to complete 12 picture book drafts over the course of the year, one each month. There are inspiring posts from guest bloggers, and prizes to make any writer's heart skip a beat. Go to Julie Hedlund's blog and check it out for yourself.

I'm using my PiBoIdMo ideas as a jumping off point, to make it easier (in theory) and make me accountable for bringing those ideas to the next level.

I've already sat down this week and put together a hideous draft for an idea I really liked in it's more primitive state. Does this mean I'm done for the month? Hardly. I might work on a second draft or switch to a different idea entirely. Do I feel comfortable sitting down and just writing? Not one bit. But since my 'theme' for 2012 is Leap, I'm just doing it anyway!

Oh, and didn't Linda Silvestri do a great job on that badge?!?

3 comments:

Julie Hedlund said...

I'm so glad you've joined the 112 x 12. And you guys should know I originally found Linda through your blog! :-)

Jennifer R said...

Best of luck with 12 x 12!

Heather said...

oooh sounds fun! best of luck!