Thursday, October 13, 2011

AlphaOops: H is for Halloween


It's that spooky time of year again, boys and girls. And what better way to celebrate than with a Halloween-themed picture book!
My son and I enjoyed Alethea Kontis & Bob Kolar's second collaboration. There are layers of fun (monsters, costumes, silliness) mixed with subtle education (letters, vocabulary, and my favorites - irony and sarcasm!).

I've been following Bob's work for years and really appreciate the attention to mood here. His style wouldn't normally strike me as the right match for 'spooky', but that's a sign of his talent - something I think f often when pondering dream (or nightmare!) assignments. Oh, and for the young fans, there's a great website for the book, loaded with games.

2 comments:

Alicia PadrĂ³n said...

Thanks for posting this Ggina! I love Bob's work. I really dig his use of color too. This book looks too cute! :o)

Jannie aka Chickengirl said...

I love his work! I got his other book. This looks so awesome!