Thursday, April 29, 2010

Writing Inspiration

A few weeks ago I was lucky enough to win a copy (hot off the presses!) of Spilling Ink by Anne Mazer and Ellen Potter. Thanks ladies! While it's a writers guide for YOUNG writers I immediately found useful and insightful advice. Quite frankly, I think I would be intimidated by an 'adult' writing book. And who doesn't love every drawing Matt Phelan does? I took this to a doctor's appointment and was REALLY disappointed that I didn't have more time in the waiting room. Once I dig deeper, I'd love to do a longer review. In the meantime, just check it out yourself!
With writing on my mind, I found the early reader above offering me another nudge toward writing. Catina (that would be the cat character) writes every night but only desires fame from her pursuits. Turns out, she's a lousy writer and after a 3 part act, it resolves with the message that you should do what you love and happiness will follow.And of course I loved their little flawed friendship as well as the soft, charismatic illustrations. I think as long as your mind is open and close to good material, you'll find the inspiration you need.

3 comments:

Kelly Light said...

Great post Gina! - That easy reader is DEEP

Nina Crittenden said...

Always looking for good books to read (and for the time to read them- HA!).

Gina Perry said...

Kelly - Yes! I was surprised at the message. Really worth a read.

Nina - time is precious, isn't it? I think that's another reason why I was digging Spilling Ink. Very short chapters!