Friday, April 23, 2010

The Quiet Book


I picked up this book a couple of weeks ago at the bookstore. I try to put a limit on my picture book spending, but sometimes there are books that just won't let you leave the store without purchasing a copy. The Quiet Book is written by Deborah Underwood and illustrated by Renata Liwska. I just love the characters in this book and the soft, muted pallete.
A very soothing and gentle book that explores all the different quiets that can fill a child's day from morning to night.

Quiet can be delicate.
Quiet can be thundering!
Quiet can be sweet and cozy,
and can most definitely help you fall asleep.

One of my favorite illustrations from the book is "Thinking of a good reason you were drawing on the wall quiet...."

Renata is also the illustrator of The Little Panda book which has it's own website that I highly recommend you visit. She shares her inspiration, research and character development for this book and she shows some of her beautiful sketchbooks.

Renata is originally from Poland, and lives in Canada with her illustrator husband, Mike Kerr. You can see her portfolio on her website www.renataliwska.com.
There is a link to her store where you can purchase some of her adorable animal prints. By the way, she loves to draw bears :o)

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!


3 comments:

Alicia Padrón said...

I was recently admiring Renata's work and commented about it on twitter. I just love her style! It's soft and soothing. That is a book I will definitely be looking for when I travel to the US. Thanks for sharing this Deb!

Alicia Padrón said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mônica said...

Yes, she is terrific, isn't she?

Just so you know, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is doing a drawing to win a piece of original artwork by Renata Liwska. Here's the link:

http://www.hmhbooks.com/quietmoments/