Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day Weezer!


In honor of Earth Day I thought I'd share a book that might be a nice gateway for young readers to talk about global issues with their parents. In Weezer Changes the World, there are so few details, there is no action plan, but I think this story instills the feeling that even the smallest of us can make a difference. And that one person (or dog) can't bear the weight of that change alone.
How beautifully does David McPhail capture this little dog? In just the barest of line and wash, he is so dear. This is my favorite of McPhail's styles to date. So much white space, all of it important.How gorgeous is that thundercloud? I can't imagine having the confidence, or skill, to paint like that, but it just WORKS.

Rain or shine, I hope you enjoy Earth Day - and perhaps a book that celebrates our precious planet. Here are some links to David McPhail's books on Amazon, and a gallery selling his original work.

No comments: