Monday, May 21, 2007

Heroes

My hero is Elaine Garvin.

"Lainey" was a successful children's book illustrator who unexpectedly passed in 2004.

I met Lainey online in an illustrators yahoo group. I was such a "yooge" fan of her work and I couldn't believe it when she took me "under her wing". I had the gift of her friendship for several years and I miss her so very much.

Lainey was a self taught illustrator that worked very hard to get where she was. She was in her 40's when she pursued her illustration career and that was such an inspiration to me. She taught me that self determination and passion can get you where you want to go. And patience...oh how important that is.

I am eternally grateful for her friendship and unwavering support.
My hero.

Here's a taste of her delightful illustration work:








3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a loving tribute to your friend. I am so very sorry for you loss. . .We never stop missing those we love.

Her work is truly wonderful!!!

roz said...

Thanks, Sherry.
She was a fantastic lady.

Paige Keiser said...

I miss her too, lovely post Roz :-(