Friday, February 21, 2014

Double Picture Book Review: Wild and Part-time Princess

Since I've been away so long, I thought I'd kick my return off with a DOUBLE picture book review!


Two of my favorite picture books that I bought recently are Wild by Emily Hughes and Part-time Princess, written by Deborah Underwood and illustrated by Cambria Evans. The subjects couldn't be further apart, but both are empowering and joyous stories for little ones to read again and again.


Emily Hughes has a blog FULL of amazing work, and her website has this fabulous illustrated story you can NOT miss. I just can't wait to see what she makes next.


Wild is lush and decorative and beautifully designed from cover to cover. The story of a little wild girl who (briefly) returns to civilization packs a strong punch. How often do you see a green haired, sharp toothed little girl as a main character? I won't say more. Just go read it.


Part-time Princess is the FIRST princess book I purchased. My daughter became pink and princess obsessed at about 2.5yo. Rather than ban all princess items out of my own concerns, I was lucky enough to find this lovely book about a brave, fierce princess who enjoys getting dressed up AND getting muddy.

 There are lots of details to surprise you on re-reads and this spread in the tub is catches me every time for it's bold composition and humor. My son just pointed out that the bubbles on her head form a crown, so smart! Cambria Evans also has a wonderful blog, even if it's no longer active - still fun to pore over.



No comments: