Monday, June 24, 2013

Back to School with Lilla Rogers

One of my goals this year was to spend a little more time on personal art projects that would stretch me a bit, loosen up the creative flow and just allow me to play around. Unfortunately, I tend to put personal things on the back burner when I'm busy with deadlines for clients. And then a whole year goes by and suddenly you realize you've done nothing about what was once such a great idea!


So when I saw the posting for Lilla Rogers e-course on Making Art That Sells, I thought it would a perfect opportunity for me to get charged up to create and experiement with some new art and have a specific framework of goals to keep me on track. The class is five weeks and each week we explore a different aspect of the licensing world. This week happened to be picture books.


The story we illustrated was a fairy tale by Hans Christian Anderson called the "Snail and the Rose Tree."  We could illustrate the cover of the book, or a spread, but the requirements were that we needed to create a compelling character (the snail), an environment, and incorporate some hand-lettering.



The snail was a thinker, but also pompous and arrogant and he sheltered in place his whole life living within his shell.


But the rose tree lived a very charmed and easy life with great meaning, blooming year after year.


There are only a few days allowed to complete the assignments, so I had to limit the amount of time I obsessed over this piece. Otherwise, I probably would never have finished it. I learned some new things with the hand-lettered type (not so easy to do, but adds a lot of charm to an illustration). Drawing from life for reference keeps elements of the illustration from being too generic looking. I tend to draw from my head, but if I look at reference, I can find all kinds of little details that make the illustration more interesting. The green vine growing over the snail was a plant I found out on my morning walk and I added it in at the very end. One of my favorite elements as it gives the feeling that the snail has been sitting in the same spot for a very long time!

Lilla Rogers is an international licensing agent, teacher, author and award-winning artist. You can visit her website here. This class will be offered again in October.

9 comments:

Laura Zarrin said...

OMG!!! This is gorgeous!!! I really wanted to take this class, but couldn't swing it. It's so great to see the work coming out of it. I LOVE this image!! Keep em coming :)

Gina Perry said...

Wow, Deb. This is so so lovely. I've seen a few of these posted, but yours is for sure my favorite. You really pushed the emotion and attitude of the snail. He oozes (haha) just the right vibe from the story. Really beautiful work - so many great textures and transitions bw spaces.

Angela Matteson said...

Deb, you captured his personality perfectly, and I'm loving those little socks!

Hannah said...

I love it Deb! I can't imagine him turning out better. :) Thank you for the inspiration.

Gaia said...

Oh man, I am LOVING this! Those little feet in the socks! The arm chair and mushroom footstool...So great.

martinealison said...

Une très jolie publication...
Cet escargot penseur me plaît beaucoup...
Il faudrait le cacher ! mon bébé dalmatien croque tous les escargot qu'il trouve, ce vilain !...
gros bisous à vous.

Deb said...

Thank you everyone for your comments! Makes me smile :)

Alicia Padrón said...

This is the best snail ever! No doubt about that. So much character and personality and I want his socks so badly!! Lol. Seriously, I love this to pieces. :)

Julissa Mora said...

Wow Deb! I love so many aspects of this... you really nailed it! ;)