Thursday, January 31, 2013

Book Review: Virginia Wolf

About a minute after reading my library copy of Virginia Wolf (written by Kyo Maclear, illustrated by Isabelle Arsenault, published by Kids Can Press) I decided I needed to own it for myself.
I've long admired Isabelle Arsenault as an illustrator, so the eye candy of the cover and word of mouth put this on my wish list to read. But the magic that happens between the art and words makes this a book to cherish, revisit, dissect, and just enjoy.
The book is loosely based on the life of Virginia Woolf. Each spread is a marvel. The story, about two sisters (one having a terribly moody and wolfish day) spoke to a very personal and fragile part of myself and my own relationship with my older sisters. It's a beautiful story for children, but particularly relevant for those with older siblings prone to depression or moodiness.
How gorgeous is this spread where things are described so poetically - the house turned upside down, of course. The beauty really comes out when the younger sister paints a mural to cheer her sister up. The joyful colors and images tied with the text and the emotion once again. Be sure to visit Isabelle Arsenault's website and blog, and read this interview with her about making Virginia Wolf at the Perogies & Gyoza blog. And one with Kyo Maclear here.


No comments: