Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Christmas Book Celebration Week- day 3




© copyright Alicia Padrón


I was very excited when Ladybird contacted me offering to illustrate one of their books. They had a Fairy Tale book in mind that they thought would work very well with my illustrations. They asked me to whip up a full spread paid sample first with my choice of the Fairy Tale characters in it.

I came up with the illustration you see above. I always thought Little Red Riding Hood set in the winter instead of spring would be so much lovelier, so I placed all the characters in a snowy forest.

After seeing this, Ladybird decided they wanted me to illustrate a Christmas title instead. I was thrilled because I am a Christmas nut. It's my favorite time of the year. I just love the magic in the air. People seem happier and it's all about the kids. So of course, I said yes. :o)



© copyright Alicia Padrón


This is one of my favorite spreads in the book. When I was a little girl, I always imagined how thrilling it would be to see Santa. I think all kids wish this at one point or another. So I gave them that in this illustration.


© copyright Alicia Padrón


Thank you all for your lovely comments and for participating in the giveaway! I wish I could give copies to all of you but of course I can't. The good news is anyone, anywhere in the world can participate. I will purchase the book and it will ship to the lucky winner.

You have until Saturday to comment. I will announce the winner on Sunday.

Good luck! :o)





6 comments:

Unknown said...

these illustrations are adorable!!

Anonymous said...

WOW...I feel like I'm a kid again wishing I could stay awake long enough to get that magical peek at Santa. Thanks for wonder illustrations that make memories!

Elizabeth Rose Stanton said...

All of these illos are so sweet. I particularly like the one with her little face in the window. Wonderful work!

Catherine Sunga said...

Alicia's illos takes one to a place of innocence, serenity and joy!

Alicia Padrón said...

Thank you all so much for your comments! :o)

sketched out said...

I couldn't put it any better than Catherine. Alicia's work always takes me back to a sweeter, smooshier time and leaves me with a warm glow.