Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The invention of Hugo Cabret





Summary: "Orphan, clock keeper, and thief, Hugo lives in the walls of a busy Paris train station, where his survival depends on secrets and anonymity. But when his world suddenly interlocks with an eccentric, bookish girl and a bitter old man who runs a toy booth in the station, Hugo's undercover life, and his most precious secret, are put in jeopardy. A cryptic drawing, a treasured notebook, a stolen key, a mechanical man, and a hidden message from Hugo's dead father form the backbone of this intricate, tender, and spellbinding mystery."


Seeing the movie trailer for, "Hugo" reminded me of my wonderful experience when I attended the 2007 NY SCBWI conference.
Author/Illustrator, Brian Selznick, was one of the speakers and he was riveting as he shared his story of creating such an interesting book. Brian was down to earth and transparent, leaving me encouraged and motivated.


I guess the closest I can compare, The Invention of Hugo Cabret, is to a graphic novel but not quite. Many pages are purely illustrative, especially in the beginning of the book and then less as the characters develop. Brian's
illustrations are beautifully rendered in dark pencil using interesting perspectives to create drama and emotion in an innovative way.



Don't be put off by the size of the book. Although the book is thick, it is a quick read due to his heavy use of illustration. the first 22 pages are illustrations alone. I remember reading it on the airplane ride home, I couldn't put it down.

I would highly recommend especially before seeing the flick. I hope it does Brian's book justice and even if doesn't, who cares. Can you imagine your book being created into a movie? Wow!


1 comment:

Alicia PadrĂ³n said...

This book is on the top of my list of books to get when I travel to the US. It looks amazing :o)