Thursday, May 19, 2011

I'm Getting a Checkup

I do so adore David Milgrim's illustrations, and he's struck gold again paired with Marilyn Singer in I'm Getting a Checkup.
It's a simple story about visiting the doctor with the great addition of more in-depth explanations of the doctor's tools and procedures. I skipped the definition sections for my 2 year old, but I could easily see this as a smart purchase for reading as your child grows.

Milgrim smartly added those fun little bunnies to each spread - giving levity and humor to what could have otherwise been very dry and dull. I think it's a great example of the fine marriage between text and image that is the hallmark of a good picture book.
Also - Marilyn Singer's website notes that she will be attending Book Expo next week - are any of our readers? I would love to go someday!

3 comments:

Alicia PadrĂ³n said...

I wasn't familiar with David's work. It's so happy! Just looking at it makes me feel bright and cheery.

It's perfect for this book too! Brilliant the use of those bunnies... No other way this book could of been better.

Thanks for posting this :o)

Brimful Curiosities said...

If only our doctor's office had some of those bunny helpers! The check-ups would be so much more interesting. Does the book mention the dreaded shot?

Gina Perry said...

Yes! The story builds up to the shot, not sugar-coating the pain. As a mom, I thought it was so smartly written. Delicate, but honest - and positive.
Gina