Monday, March 21, 2011

Picnic at Camp Shalom Review





Picnic at Camp Shalom is a beautiful book about friendship. Every kid at some point in his or her life experiences rejection from a friend. This is a wonderful story about two new best friends that realize they have more in common than they think and that friendship is really worth fighting for.

The story and illustrations go so well together. I know you must think that being Deb's friend of course I will say marvelous things about her work.. but let me say, I would say them anyway even if we weren't friends.

Deb did a fantastic job with the setting in this story. She uses color so well for creating the mood. The characters are lovable right from the beginning and this story is filled with tons of fun details that I know kids will adore!

This is my absolute favorite expression in the book:




Look at that little girl with the ponytail! Even though you don't know the story just yet, I am sure you can tell she cares for her friend. You know she is really trying hard to do whatever it takes to make things right. You know she's worried but filled with hope at the same time. Deb created the perfect expression. Just brilliant!

Here is just one of the spreads filled with fun little details that Deb adds to the story. I know kids will take their time and will tell their parent to wait and don't turn the page just yet. ;o)






And here is a perfect example of how she creates the feeling of closeness and bond between the two girls just by the perfect use of color and lighting.





My hat's off to you Deb! :oD



Finally here is the book trailer for you to enjoy!

Remember to leave a comment in order to participate in a book giveaway! You have until Saturday. Winner will be announced Sunday. Good luck!







6 comments:

Maria Bogade said...

Oh this is beautiful! The illustrations are gorgoues! And I surely want to participate in the giveaway!!

Deb said...

Thanks so much Maria!

And thank you Ali!! You're the best. Love the parts of the book you posted. They are some of my favorites too!

Debbie said...

LOVE your new book- reminds me of fun times in childhood so long ago. Pictures are awesome, and so is the story idea.

Alicia Padrón said...

You're welcome MacDebbie! I'm just in love with this book. ;o)

Goadingthepen said...

Ha,ha...this is definitely an adorable picture book! I was pleasantly surprised by the fun story line...and the illustrations. Oh my! I absolutely love the bird pooping on the little boys baseball cap!

Smiley said...

Oh I'd love to be in on the book giveaway! This brings back such fond memories of when my daughter (now 16) was so young and impressionable. I loved reading to her and she loved being read to! She still has a passion for books . . . and I still have a passion for children's books! I guess it's just the kid in me . . . hee hee!

Smiles!
Deb :o)