Friday, February 18, 2011

What I'm Working on this Week


Literally and figuratively, I been trying to keep my head above water this week. I live in Northern California and we have had an unusually early Spring. Warm temperatures and sunny days for over a month. That was until this week. Winter has hit us hard with lots of rain and cold temperatures. A 180 degree change in weather overnight. I also find it interesting that my workload can change that quickly too. I can go from a fairly normal pace to overload in a 24 hour period. This week was one of those for me.

I'm currently finishing sketches for a new picture book for Kar-Ben Publishing. I just had "Picnic at Camp Shalom" released this month and the book turned out so beautiful with the color and printing quality, that I'm very excited to be working on a second book for them.
This current story takes place in a classroom, so there are lots of kids and there is also a dog involved. I'm still working on how the dog is going to look. I find as I work from spread to spread, the characters change and evolve, so I try not to "buy into" a certain look too early with my characters until I've completely layed out all the spreads.

©Deborah Melmon

I also am working on two small board books for a publisher in the UK. These books are very different from anything I've ever done before as each book is a combination of finger puppets, artwork and photographic elements. With finger puppet books, there is a large hole in the center of each of the pages for the puppet to pop through. That element, along with the placing of the type, makes each spread a real design challenge!

And finally, I just received word this week that I've been selected for a picture book with the same UK publisher, which I'm so excited about because this new book has lots of cute woodland animals in it. The book is on a fast track, so I've already started the sketches, which is how things got a little nutty this week.

© Deborah Melmon 2011

I'm thinking there are going to be a few late nights in my future....!

Have a great weekend all you PBJ's!

6 comments:

roz said...

WOWEE! Busy busy bee and I can't believe the weather you guys are having. Congratulations on the new books!!

Diandra Mae said...

Whoa! Congrats on all the books,Deb. Fingers crossed you find a buoy to keep afloat!

Gina Perry said...

That's awesome news Deb! I can't wait to see how the puppet book turns out. We just got 'Picnic' in paperback and it's printed SO well, I was impressed (and excited for you!). The illustrations are just gorgeous.

Deb said...

Oh, thanks Roz! It's hard to complain about the weather when the everyone else has had so much snow, but it is a bit of a shock!

Thanks diandra...yes, working on it!

Oh, thanks Gina. Yes the print job was excellent. The hard bound book with the jacket is just super too. It's always a bit dicey when you send off digital files...hope you and Miles enjoy!

Alicia PadrĂ³n said...

Go Debbie!!!! *jumping with pom poms*

I can't wait to get my copy. So happy it turned out so great! You are on a roll baby!! :o)

xo

Deb said...

Aww, thanks ali...you're the best cheerleader ever!!!