Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Sketchbook Week: Less is More

Hi all,


Right now my sketchbook is housing roughs for an alphabet coloring book. I turned in my sketches for review and thought it would be alright to share a couple since they have been scrapped from the line up.




Why have they been scrapped? Because I went overboard and forgot my target audience. This book is intended for very little ones with big fingers. I knew in my gut that I was drawing too much but ultimately decided it would be quicker to edit rather than add in revisions. Even still, these one's are going to be tossed because I think it will be easier to just come up with a new concept.

Back to the drawing board to simplify, simplify, simplify!

PS Still waiting on my Cintiq. Should hopefully be here today/tomorrow.


4 comments:

Deb said...

Recycle, recycle, recycle Roz! These are so cute. You can use them for portfolio or mailer samples if nothing else. Can't wait to hear about thte Cintiq!

Gina Perry said...

These are both very cute! I love that snake in the tree!!! It's always tough to keep the audience in mind when a picture is in your head. I think we need to draw things out, literally, sometimes.

Alicia PadrĂ³n said...

Tossed?? Never! These are way too cute. :o)

Maybe you can simplify them if they are asking you too. But sometimes it's easier to just stat from a blank page again.

I love them both Rozzie, specially the jungle one! Such cute perspective. And I love the girl with the binoculars. I can picture all those green leaves with your colorful digital felt and it's gorgeous! You have to take it to color when you have the time, ok?

Maybe leave it in your portfolio as a sample for an ABC book. :o)

Anonymous said...

These are great! They may not be right for your current project, but I bet you could eventually find a use for them.