Thursday, August 26, 2010

Bebe Goes to the Beach

Sometime my method of picking picture books at the library is just 'What can I grab before my toddler destroys the place'. That was how I selected Bebe goes to the Beach, written by Susan Middleton Elya and illustrated by Steven Salerno. I look to the new book racks and grab what catches my eye in a split second.
It's a timely beach story, with a spanglish twist. The rhyming text by Susan Middleton Elya is lively and really fun to read aloud, even 20 times over. The artwork is just as lively, and Salerno has done a beautiful job of transitioning scenes within spreads and mixing up silos, spots, and spreads in a really natural way.
Salerno has an awesome blog, full of all the tidbits we illustrators love to see - work in progress, sketches, technique. He has a long list of other picture books, all as lush looking as Bebe (the sequel to Bebe goes Shopping).

No comments: