Friday, November 7, 2008

all things autumn


I love autumn.

The first time I ever saw a red leaf fall off a tree, I was 10 years old. 
My family moved to Chappaqua, NY and we lived there for over a year. Coming from the tropics where we basically have "spring" all year long, autumn was pretty magical to me.

My fenceless backyard was an open playground for my imagination. I looked forward to going out there everyday after school.

I remember seeing rows after rows of trees, in all the possible shades of beautiful reds and oranges, that faded into the distance.  The wind made the leaves dance freely and felt so cool on my face that made me feel alive. Everything smelled musky and wet.  
I can still hear the crackling sound of my footsteps when walking over the fallen leaves. Squirrels, raccoons and even deer passed by to drink water on the narrow brook by the back of my house. 

How could autumn not be magical?

I like to believe that my 10-year-old-self is still exploring and playing pretend in those colorful woods... :o)


4 comments:

Gina Perry said...

What a sweet image Alicia. And a lovely story - what a perfect age to be stuck in and exploring.

Alicia Padrón said...

Thanks Gina :o)
It is a perfect age for that, you are right!

roz said...

What a lovely story, Ali, to go with a delightful illustration.
Autumn is such a magical time for sure.

Alicia Padrón said...

Thanks Rozzie, and now you get to experience it all in your new place!:o)

Oh... and a white Christmas too! You lucky girl :o)