Thursday, July 26, 2007

follow through


This coloring book was my first freelance illustration job for the children's market. I was delighted when they asked me to bid on the project. I was also clueless on what to bid! Really no idea at all. So along with clueless, I was nervous, anxious and a little panicky. I considered turning the job down. Instead, I decided to do a little research. I asked my coworkers, family and friends for advise (Howdoya, whatdoya, howdoya???) and I searched the library for books on pricing. Then I gathered all my notes, mustered up my courage and submitted a bid. They replied, "Your bid is too low, raise it a bit and get started."

That was 16 years ago. The illustration below is for the same client (for a workbook for teens) that I finished last week. We have worked together on dozens of projects over the last 16 years. They are a total delight to work with! Their continued support and faith in my work helped me take the step of finally leaving my day job and going full time freelance. I will be forever grateful for these kind and generous folks. And also grateful that I followed through on that first bid!

No comments: