Friday, July 20, 2007

Collections

I have lots of smaller collections, but mostly, I collect salt and pepper shakers.

I started collecting them about 15 years ago, and not by accident. I spent a couple of weeks thinking about WHAT I wanted to collect. It needed to be something small that didn't take up a lot of room, easy to find (but not TOO easy), and something you could get fairly inexpensively.

I have rules too! They must be the PAIR and I will not pay over $15.

I have well over a hundred sets now. The sets in the collage (above) are just random, not favorites or anything. I have beautiful shakers, travel shakers, cute shakers, and funny shakers. I have a set of shakers that were made in "occupied Japan," a set I saw in a book of "highly sought after" shakers, and a pair of little red toilets that you lift the lids to shake.

After I hit about 50 sets, I started limiting myself to those that are really funny or different.

The funniest thing about my shaker collection is that I am loathe to use them. If you come to dinner at my house, you may find yourself sitting next to a wall of shakers, but using the big blue Morton's container the salt came in. :-)



No comments: