Friday, April 20, 2007

Weekly Theme - Favorite Art Supplies


Illustration - As a digital illustrator, I could cop-out and say that my favorite art supply is my computer, but that would be like a traditional artist saying "my favorite tool is my entire studio."

So I'll dig a little deeper and mention my favorite programs:
1. Painter
2. Photoshop
3. Illustrator
4. InDesign

And if I keep on digging, I'd have to name my favorite tool within Painter as the vine charcoal. I love sketching with this. It glides across the screen. I know it's ridiculous, but it actually FEELS like real vine charcoal on the Wacom. The above sketch is done with digital vine charcoal on the basic Painter paper.

Writing - Now how weird is this? While my favorite tool for drawing resides on the computer, my favorite writing tool is my sketchbook! How very analog of me. I jot down ideas and draw out little story board boxes to help pace my story. I love that it doesn't have lines. As the story ideas brew, I can just jot them down anywhere on the page. I've tried using lined paper for this, but find it quite stifling.

No comments: